Since we were getting ready to host a Royal Wedding party, I knew I needed a fascinator. The fascinators at Keeneland were a little pricey, so I thought I could probably make my own. It was super easy! So, in case you are attending Derby or a Derby party and want to try making your own, here are the details:
Rubber Band Headband
Feathers, Flowers, Beads and other decorations
Hot Glue Gun
I purchased the flower, beaded clip and brown feather from Hobby Lobby. I already had the black feathers and black felt.
1. Remove the flower from its stem. It should pull apart pretty easily if you pull on the stem and the center part.
2. Hot glue your decoration to cover the middle of the flower. I chose a hair clip, but you could also use beads, sequins, pearls or some other type of decoration.
3. Cut out two oval pieces of felt, slightly smaller than your flower.
4. Hot glue the brown feathers on top of one of the pieces of felt. After you glue the feathers onto the felt, spread hot glue over the portion of the felt that will be covered by the flower.
5. Press your flower on top of the feathers and felt. Add any additional feathers you want to fill out the hat. I add one black feather on either side of the brown feathers.
6. Turn over your hat and hot glue one rubber band head band on the back of the felt piece. Before attaching the felt to the headband, I tried on the headband and held up the felt piece to see how I wanted the feathers to be positioned on my head. Once you have hot glued the felt to the headband, position the other piece of felt over top the first to cover the rubber band. Hot glue the two pieces of felt together.
That's it -- you're all done!
And, here's how it looked on:
Have fun making your own!!!